Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sneezeweed

One of the wild flowers that we have around here with a funny name is Helenium autumnale or sneezeweed. I am not exactly sure how it got the name sneezeweed, since it does not seem to make people sneeze any more then any other flower.
Maybe it is do to the way that the center of the flower looks. Although I believe that if it would have been named in more recent times then perhaps it would have been called a kooshweed. I photographed this sneezeweed during the summer as there are not many plants that grow in the Minnesota winter.

4 comments:

BernieH said...

What a stunner! It's fascinating how some plants end up with such interesting common names!

Modern Mom said...

They are gorgeous!

My entry.

Frostbite and Sunburn said...

I love that name - never heard of it before. And a cutie too.

Míriam Luiza said...

Esta cor viva faz com que esta flor fique mais linda!