Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Herons and Egrets

There seemed to be a little bit of confusion with the birds that I featured in my post yesterday, so I decided that today I would try and help clear things up. This first bird, pictured above, is called a little blue heron. The little blue heron stands at about 24 inches with a 40 inch wingspan. One of the primary field markings that help distinguish this bird from other herons is the two toned slate blue and black bill.
This next bird is the tricolored heron. It stands at about 26 inches with a 36 inch wingspan. The tricolored heron has a thinner and longer neck then the little blue heron. The tricolored is the only heron that has a dark breast and white belly and it is the only heron with red eyes other then the night herons, which do not have long necks.
The reddish egret looks similar to the little blue except that it is larger, standing at around 30 inches with a 46 inch wingspan. The reddish egret also has a two toned bill, like the little blue heron, but it is pink with a black tip. They can also be distinguished by the way that they forage for food. The little blue moves quietly through the water with its head tipped forward ready to strike while the reddish egret runs around almost frantically often jumping and flapping its wings.
I hope this post clears up any questions that anyone had.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Herons are my favourite birds but these two are very different from the ones I'm familiar with (which I think are called grey herons). I never knew they'd such pretty cousins!

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

beautiful shots and nice blog...

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful shots of all the herons.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Wonderful, yet once again the Reddish Heron is my FAV and love the motion shot~

caite said...

we have several types of herons on the marshes here, but not sure exactly what sort. I know there are Great White...which are white...and great but the others, I am not sure of..