Monday, August 18, 2008

Unique Bugs at Dodge Nature Center

Sometimes while I am out looking for birds, butterflies and dragonflies I come across a different type of insect that is interesting.
In June I found this nessus sphinx moth sipping nectar from the flowers at the Dodge Nature Center. The interesting thing that I found when researching this moth is that most people consider their range to be in the eastern portion of the country with Wisconsin being the western border in this area. Dodge is in the Twin Cities, so it was obviously in Minnesota. On the butterfliesandmoths.org website there are only two Minnesota Counties that have recorded sightings of the nessus sphinx moth and Dakota County, I believe that Dodge Nature Center is a part of Dakota County, is not one that is listed. So it is possible that this is the first recorded nessus sphinx moth in the county, as well as one of the few seen in the state.
I am not sure what this second bug is. I found it at Dodge Nature Center that same day. It has some pretty cool antenna. If anyone knows what type of insect this is, or even a clue, please leave a comment and I will look it up and do some research so that we can all learn a little more.

10 comments:

pax said...

Your second photo is of a Yellow-collared scape moth.

Leedra said...

Check this out. Notice they are not in Tennessee, no wonder I had never seen one. After pax gave the name I went to this website and I believe pax is correct.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3852

Anonymous said...

I live in Minneapolis, and was delighted to see a sphinx moth on a butterfly bush. I hope it comes back so I can try to identify it.

Anonymous said...

The moth in your second photo is known as a virginia ctenichid moth.
They're very common!

Anonymous said...

Just saw one in my yard in Elk River, MN on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

5/25/12 @ about 7:30pm i saw a Nexxus sphinx moth enjoying nector from my wild plox near the U of Mn.
I had to call my sister and ask < what is this thing?"

Anonymous said...

Just saw a Nexus Sphinx moth today in Eagan!

PaulS said...

Just had a Nessus Sphinx Moth on my milkweed here in St. Paul (8:45 pm).
:-)

Unknown said...

We just saw one of these in Broomfield Colorado.

JackFlash said...

Just witnessed one of these at a milkweed plant in my backyard. Hastings MN, Dakota county. 8:30pm