Friday, August 1, 2008

One Year Ago Today

It was one year ago today that a major bridge fell into the Mississippi River just a few miles from where I work. As a child I remember having a reoccuring nightmare about driving across a bridge that had a large portion missing and falling to the river below, so having a bridge fall like that so close to home has had a lasting effect on me. One year later I am still nervous as I cross any of the bridges in the area, especially ones that are in very poor shape like the Hastings bridge that I had to cross twice to get to Carpenter Nature Center and back today. My only thought these days when I cross a bridge is can I get off fast enough to not get caught when it colapses. I guess that I am just paranoid but if you look at the pictures below, that I took last year after the collapse, then maybe you can see why.




A new bridge is scheduled to be opened in October. The new bridge will help with the traffic situation but it will not be able to bring back the people who lost their lives that day.

3 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I think many Minnesotans share your feelings. We all were affected to varying degrees but none of us to the extent of the victims and their families.
God bless them.
God bless the rescue workers.

Shelley said...

Those pictures make me so sad for the people who were caught there. I have a fear of bridges and I an see why you would want to be cautious crossing them any time!

Leedra said...

I think this affected people all over the USA. Had not seen the photo with the train under it (or had not picked up on it). Was the train vibration the 'last straw'?

As always when these things happen the families are my 1st thoughts.