Friday, June 29, 2007

Peregrine falcon at Fort Snelling State Park

Today after work I decided to go to Fort Snelling State Park to look for the Prothonotary Warbler that had been spotted by several people on the Minnesota Ornithologist's Union list server. I got there around 4PM and after a bit of searching I could not find the warbler so I decided to head back. On my way to the car a small raptor flew over my head from the direction of the river and landed in a large tree at the side of the path right in front of me. At first I could not tell what he was other then a raptor since I did not have a good angle to view him from. Then the bird turned and I knew that he was a peregrine falcon.
He sat on the branch for a few minutes while I snapped pictures. Then he took off and landed where I could no longer see him on the support columns of the Mendota bridge.

No comments: