Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Owling part 2

After my initial trip to see the nesting Great Horned Owls at http://www.woodlakenaturecenter.org/ I decided it would be interesting to try and record the progress of the young chick as it continued to mature. So I found a new home for my tripod in my truck and set up camp each day after work in the owls front yard.
For the first couple days I visited from 3pm to 5pm. On those days the mother was no where around and I began to get worried that something might have happened to her. Finally on Friday the 13th I decided to stay a bit later. Around 6:00pm mom finally showed up.



After a bit of preening mom began to rip up a rabbit, which had been in the nest the whole time, and feed the hungry chick. This went on for about 45 minutes. After they finished the meal both mom and the chick cleaned their feathers and then mom took off and perched on a near by branch until it got dark.



No comments: